Preview datasets bug when not logged in

Good morning!

I’ve noticed a surprising bug when I’m not logged in on renkulab.io: I can’t preview Datasets for most projects.

• First it asks me to log in when I’m just trying to explore renkulab.io, but I can overcome that refreshing the page.
  • Then, for most projects, when I open the “Datasets” tab it leads to the error below, and then going back in my browser also fails.

I’m on Chrome 86.0.4240.198, but the pages don’t load either in Firefox (81.0.2).

I’ve been trying for example:

On the other hand, some projects work (the “datasets” tab will display: " You are logged out, please [Log in] to see datasets for this project."), e.g the covid one (sorry I can’t link it, discourse tells me new users can only put 2 links in a post :wink:

Console error:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 401 ()
instrument.ts:113 TypeError: t.map is not a function
at a.value (Project.present.js:1177)
at Ya (react-dom.production.min.js:181)
at Ka (react-dom.production.min.js:180)
at Ts (react-dom.production.min.js:261)
at ml (react-dom.production.min.js:230)
at fl (react-dom.production.min.js:229)
at ol (react-dom.production.min.js:223)
at react-dom.production.min.js:121
at t.unstable_runWithPriority (scheduler.production.min.js:18)
at qi (react-dom.production.min.js:120)
at Ki (react-dom.production.min.js:121)
at $i (react-dom.production.min.js:120)
at el (react-dom.production.min.js:214)
at Object.enqueueSetState (react-dom.production.min.js:133)
at s._.setState (react.production.min.js:13)
at s.l.onStateChange (connectAdvanced.js:207)
at b (redux.js:220)
at Object.dispatch (index.js:11)
at e.value (Model.js:149)
at a.value (Model.js:237)
at a.value (Model.js:223)
at Project.state.js:285
(anonymous) @ instrument.ts:113

Hello charlottegiseleweil,
Thanks for reporting that and for the very detailed description! Reproducing it was straightforward.

The blank page on overview/datasets for anonymous users and the console error are definitely bugs. We will fix this as soon as possible.

In general, we agree that anonymous navigation of public resources should be supported wherever possible. We are already working on the necessary changes to make that possible for datasets. This should be available in one of the next RenkuLab releases, hopefully within a few weeks.

1 Like

Just chiming in to link to the relevant issue because the connection isn’t so obvious: https://github.com/SwissDataScienceCenter/renku-python/issues/1414