Using fuse in session

Dear Renku developpers,

Thank you again for your work.

I am trying to mount remote storage within a renku session. I am actually using juicefs which shows good performances. Locally for me it works fine, however in a renku session I am having the following error:

/usr/bin/fusermount: fuse device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first

The docker container launching the session might need additional permission ?

Any help would be appreciated on this.

Hi @anciaux we restrict the user capabilities and prevent escalation of user capabilities in sessions due to security concerns. And this indeed prevents any user from running or mounting stuff with fuse.

We are looking into alternatives and workarounds for this issue. But this is still early stages. We would very much like our users to be able to run fuse in a renku jupyter session just like how they do it locally on their computers.

Do you have a time schedule ? When do you think an alternative/solution could emerge ?

There is no specific timeline or dates I can share. But we need to do some exploratory work first to see what is feasible and then based on that see what and when we will work on this.

I can update you when we have done our exploration on this and have better idea about a timeline.

I will see if we can schedule the exploration in our next sprint.

Here is that starting point/issue for this exploration: Explore the feasibility of using fuse inside running jupyter sessions · Issue #1589 · SwissDataScienceCenter/renku-notebooks · GitHub