Pinned image available, but "Warning, a fallback image was used"

Hi all

We’re currently trying to start sessions for a project with a pinned image. while the UI says the images is available starting a session will not properly work. The session has a yellow warning sign saying:

Docker Image pinned available

Image source: renku/renkulab-py:3.9-0.14.0
Warning: a fallback image was used.
Is there an issue with the registry or session start with pinned images?

@cramakri you should have access to the project already: Reproducible Data Science | Open Research | Renku

thanks in advance and cheers

@a_user what is the image that you have pinned? Is it renku/renkulab-py:3.9-0.14.0 or something else?

I do not have access to the project you link.

I have seen this problem. I think this is the situation you have: There is a project, Project C, which uses an image which comes from a different project, Project T. The user has access to Project C but not to Project T, so they are unable to retrieve the image necessary to start the session.

The easiest solution would be to give users access to Project T.

I hope this will fix the situation, but let us know if it does not.

@tolevski I can invite you to the project, let me know which username I should use ( I think you have 4 on there xD )

@cramakri Thanks for your reply. No, that is currently not the case. I’m the owner of all these projects. The template project I have linked is providing the base image for the other project. The errors I have copied come from trying to start a session in the base project.

@tolevski I can invite you to the project, let me know which username I should use ( I think you have 4 on there xD )

Yeah I use a few different accounts to test things out or to track down bugs. Please use tasko.olevski@sdsc.ethz.ch.

@tolevski
thanks, I invited you with that email address.

@a_user this is a bug on our end.

Here is the issue for it: Pinning an image does not set the image property in the payload to notebook service · Issue #2458 · SwissDataScienceCenter/renku-ui · GitHub

We are working on fixing it as soon as possible.

Before a fix is rolled out, your only option is to “unpin” the image and let it be built on every commit. That way you can be sure that you have the image specific to your project. Hopefully this is acceptable as a temporary measure.

Hi @tolevski

thanks, and sorry for the long silence ; ) That week was a break in the lecture anyway, so the worked out in the end :+1: