How to upgrade old projects (0.x.x) to new renku?

I have some projects based on different 0.x versions of renku, which I would like to resurrect and start using again. When I open them in renkulab, I am asked to upgrade to the newest version, but the instructions at Upgrade your Renku project — Renku documentation tell me to modify the ARG RENKU_VERSION line in the dockerfile and “if you don’t see this line in your Dockerfile your project was made using an older template”. Well, yes it is, but what can I do in this case? One such project is Reproducible Data Science | Open Research | Renku
Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Hi,

You need to migrate your project and set a template for it. Install the latest version of Renku (or any other version that you want to use) and clone your project. Open a terminal in the project’s root and the run the following command in the command line:

renku migrate

This migrates your project to the Renku version that is used in the CLI. To set a template for the project, run:

renku template set --force python-minimal # Or another template based on your project

You can see a list of available templates by running renku template ls.

Note that this will overwrite some of the project files. You can see what file has been overwritten. If you’ve made modifications to any of those files, you need to re-apply your modifications after this command.

Now, the Dockerfile in your project has a ARG RENKU_VERSION= line. You need to edit this file and put the Renku version that you want:

ARG RENKU_VERSION=1.7.1

Commit changes to the Dockerfile and push your project. Your project should get the intended image.

Let me know if this doesn’t solve your problem.

1 Like