PostgreSQL database server running locally in a Renku docker container

Hello,

On the Renku Best Practices Gitlab group, it is shown how to connect to a remote PostgreSQL database server, which is useful.

• Would it be possible to have a PostgreSQL database server running locally in a Renku docker container ?
  • If yes, what would be the best way to implement this in a Renku project ?

Thanks !

Hi @champost - do you need a full postgres server or would something simpler like sqlite be sufficient given that it’s just running locally? In any case, you could certainly install a server and run it inside the container if you wanted. You would need to install it in the image and then start it, either in the image directly or via a post-init.sh script (which runs after the session starts so it has all the local state if you need it for e.g. environment variables).

Hi @rrrrrok,

Thanks for the input.

sqlite does seem be a good option for our use-case and the sqlite3 python package seems to be available “out of the box” in Renku !

1 Like

great, let me know how it goes!

Hello @rrrrrok ,

Finally it is a full PostgresSQL server that I would be needing for a Renku project.

In any case, you could certainly install a server and run it inside the container if you wanted. You would need to install it in the image and then start it, either in the image directly or via a post-init.sh script (which runs after the session starts so it has all the local state if you need it for e.g. environment variables).

I tried but I would prefer if you are able to show me how to correctly setup a running PostgreSQL server within a (Renku) Docker container ?

Thanks !

Hi @champost, can you show me a project where you’ve tried this already?

Hi @rrrrrok

I had started working on a new branch in a private Renku project of a research group that I am helping out with such tasks.

In it, I basically installed postgresql and postgresql-contrib via apt-get in the Dockerfile. I haven’t yet managed to figure out how to fire up the DB server as you suggested via the Dockerfile or via post-init.sh

Should I create a new test project to share and invite you and we go on from there ?

yes please, that would be great!

Here is the link to the project : Champak Beeravolu Reddy / postgresql server in renku · GitLab

I was trying to setup postgresql on Ubuntu 22.04 (How To Install PostgreSQL on Ubuntu 22.04 [Quickstart] | DigitalOcean) and create a database which the default local user in Renku should be able to access via the psycopg package (as in notebooks/psycopg-example.ipynb · master · Best Practices / connect-to-sql · GitLab). In my case, the local user would thus open a connection on the localhost.

I have also added your username rok.roskar as a maintainer to the project.