What is the correct Renkulab container registry address?

Hello,

I am trying to setup Renku locally for researchers relying on various platforms (i.e OS) and different Container engines.

To reproduce the Renkulab experience locally, I am “reusing Docker images” built on Renkulab by pulling them from registry.renkulab.io/<namespace>/<project>:<commit-sha-7>.

After successfully pulling and running these images locally, I also tried a renku session start from the command line :

$ renku session start
/home/champost/.local/pipx/shared/lib/python3.10/site-packages/_distutils_hack/__init__.py:18: UserWarning: Distutils was imported before Setuptools, but importing Setuptools also replaces the `distutils` module in `sys.modules`. This may lead to undesirable behaviors or errors. To avoid these issues, avoid using distutils directly, ensure that setuptools is installed in the traditional way (e.g. not an editable install), and/or make sure that setuptools is always imported before distutils.
  warnings.warn(
/home/champost/.local/pipx/shared/lib/python3.10/site-packages/_distutils_hack/__init__.py:33: UserWarning: Setuptools is replacing distutils.
  warnings.warn("Setuptools is replacing distutils.")
The container image 'registry.gitlab.renkulab.io/<namespace>/<project>:<commit-sha-7>' does not exist. Would you like to build it using docker? [y/N]:N
Aborted!

So what is the correct Renkulab container registry address :

And why is the Renku CLI trying to pull from registry.gitlab.renkulab.io and not see that I already have a local image ?

Thanks for any input !

When I do proceed with a new build via the Renku CLI, it works but ends in a broken link :point_down:t4:

$ renku session start
/home/champost/.local/pipx/shared/lib/python3.10/site-packages/_distutils_hack/__init__.py:18: UserWarning: Distutils was imported before Setuptools, but importing Setuptools also replaces the `distutils` module in `sys.modules`. This may lead to undesirable behaviors or errors. To avoid these issues, avoid using distutils directly, ensure that setuptools is installed in the traditional way (e.g. not an editable install), and/or make sure that setuptools is always imported before distutils.
  warnings.warn(
/home/champost/.local/pipx/shared/lib/python3.10/site-packages/_distutils_hack/__init__.py:33: UserWarning: Setuptools is replacing distutils.
The container image 'registry.gitlab.renkulab.io/<namespace>/<project>:<commit-sha-7>' does not exist. Would you like to build it using docker? [y/N]: y           
Image registry.gitlab.renkulab.io/<namespace>/<project>:<commit-sha-7> built successfully.
The session for 'registry.gitlab.renkulab.io/<namespace>/<project>:<commit-sha-7>' has been successfully started. It is available at:
	http://:34211/?token=393221fc8a994feca0603f68eeef6cd0
$ 
$ 
$ renku session ls
  warnings.warn(
Session f0095d4df5 (running, docker)
Started: 2023-11-24T15:25:10.749134
Url: http://:34211/?token=393221fc8a994feca0603f68eeef6cd0
Commit: 7725173e0f81b6439411e859e000eeb062aba21a
Branch: master
SSH enabled: no

Warning: Only showing sessions from local provider
Warning: Cannot get sessions list from 'renkulab': Please run the renku login command to authenticate with Renku.
$ 
$ docker ps -a
Emulate Docker CLI using podman. Create /etc/containers/nodocker to quiet msg.
CONTAINER ID  IMAGE                                                                                 COMMAND               CREATED        STATUS            PORTS                    NAMES
f0095d4df5f8  registry.gitlab.renkulab.io/<namespace>/<project>:<commit-sha-7>  jupyter notebook ...  2 minutes ago  Up 2 minutes ago  0.0.0.0:34211->8888/tcp  kind_heisenberg
$ 
$ 

I am unable to use the following link to connect to the Jupyter Server from http://127.0.0.1:34211/?token=393221fc8a994feca0603f68eeef6cd0. I just get the following message in my browser :

Note that I am experiencing this with renku 2.7.0 on Linux Mint 21.2 (but see also Running Renku image locally in Windows · Issue #3108 · SwissDataScienceCenter/renku · GitHub)

Just put /lab at the end the URL @champost.

So instead of
http://127.0.0.1:34211/?token=393221fc8a994feca0603f68eeef6cd0
Do this:
http://127.0.0.1:34211/lab?token=393221fc8a994feca0603f68eeef6cd0

1 Like

I have opened a bug report to resolve the link problem.

1 Like

The registry is at registry.renkulab.io but we try to infer and mess up in the CLI.

I think perhaps that is why even though you have pulled the image the CLI cannot find it.

The CLI is looking for registry.gitlab.renkulab.io/some/image:tag but the local image is registry.renkulab.io/some/image:tag.

Either way I opened another bug report so that we fix this problem too.

1 Like