Help adding .exe to $PATH

Hi,

In order to scrape some images for an Image Classification example, I would like to use Selenium and Chromedriver or, maybe better, Geckodriver. See the below example:

from selenium import webdriver

options = webdriver.ChromeOptions()
#options.binary_location = “/home/work/hslu-deep-learning/notebooks/Block 5/Selenium test/chromedriver”
driver = webdriver.Chrome(chrome_options=options)

driver.get(‘https://imgur.com/’)

images = driver.find_elements_by_tag_name(‘img’)
for image in images:
print(image.get_attribute(‘src’))

driver.close()

Error message:
WebDriverException: Message: ‘chromedriver’ executable needs to be in PATH.

The problem now is, that I need to add the executable to PATH. I tried various ways to achive this, with no succes. Could somebody give me advice? Or is adding executables to PATH just not allowed?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Simon

Hello @simonvanhemert,

You can update your path in the Dockerfile. This is the syntax:

ENV PATH "$PATH:/path/to/your/chromedriver"

If you are working from an interactive environment in RenkuLab, remember you need to commit and push your code to build the new Docker image. You can then start a new environment from the latest commit you just pushed.

Hi Lorenzo,

Thank you for the super fast reply! That I should edit the dockerfile is already a great help.
However, I did not manage to find the solution jet. I tried all of the next options:

#add chromedriver and geckodriver to PATH
ENV PATH “PATH:/home/work/hslu-deep-learning/notebooks/Block_5/Seleniumtest/chromedriver" ENV PATH="/home/work/hslu-deep-learning/notebooks/Block_5/Seleniumtest/geckodriver:{PATH}”
ENV PATH=“notebooks/Block_5/Seleniumtest/chromedriver:${PATH}”
ENV PATH “$PATH:/notebooks/Block_5/Seleniumtest/geckodriver”

The Dockerbuild log shows:

Step 4/7 : ENV PATH "$PATH:/home/work/hslu-deep-learning/notebooks/Block_5/Seleniumtest/chromedriver" ---> Using cache ---> 2e87e953d7cc Step 5/7 : ENV PATH="/home/work/hslu-deep-learning/notebooks/Block_5/Seleniumtest/geckodriver:${PATH}" ---> Using cache ---> 0fd78b5fb2e2 Step 6/7 : ENV PATH="notebooks/Block_5/Seleniumtest/chromedriver:${PATH}" ---> Running in 39dda5120c5a Removing intermediate container 39dda5120c5a ---> 7aebddc07fe4 Step 7/7 : ENV PATH "$PATH:/notebooks/Block_5/Seleniumtest/geckodriver" ---> Running in 63762dcfb350 Removing intermediate container 63762dcfb350 ---> 27fa4d268876 Successfully built 27fa4d268876

I hope you can help me further.

The commands you added seem to work.

I’m not very familiar with how you are trying to access the chromedriver from a Jupyter notebook. Are you sure the paths you are adding exist and contain what you need?
I would install the packages required by selenium (chromedriver or geckodriver, and any other necessary package) using apt-get in the Dockerfile.
You should already have a commented section like the following one:

# Uncomment and adapt if your R or python packages require extra linux (ubuntu) software
# e.g. the following installs apt-utils and vim; each pkg on its own line, all lines
# except for the last end with backslash '\' to continue the RUN line
# 
# USER root
# RUN apt-get update && \
#    apt-get install -y --no-install-recommends \
#    apt-utils \
#    vim
# USER ${NB_USER}

You can uncomment those 3 commands and swap vim with the required packages.
I hope this helps.

Thank you for your support! This solved my problem. Installing the package in the Dockerfile already adds the .exe to $PATH.

1 Like